The piece by Karl Hartung (b. 1908 in Hamburg – d. 1967) was the first example of abstract sculpture in Hannover’s public space; it was purchased in 1956 after having been noticed in front of the Berlin Pavilion at the Hannover Trade Fair. Initially set up on the grounds of a new school building, it was later rededicated with a supplementary text as a monument protesting the division of Germany and installed on the former roundabout at Aegidientorplatz. This was followed in 1976 by its relocation to the present site between a quiet cul-de-sac and a heavily frequented street. The sculpture creates a place of reflection here, uninhibitedly providing a counterpart to the human body and furthermore leaving a space open at eye-level through which the visitor can look. He might see Angela Bulloch’s light installation (see below, no. 3 ) that was installed opposite the sculpture many years later and which has a corresponding thematic: it, too, is self-contained and simultaneously dynamic.
» Location: Friedrichswall/Georgswall
- Aegidientorplatz 1
- 30159 Hannover