recently modified:

Monastery Wülfinghausen

This small Augustinian monastery was founded in Wülfinghausen, a district of Springe, in 1236.

Ein älteres Gebäude. © Thomas Langreder

Das Kloster Wülfinghausen hat seit dem 17. Jahrhundert eine Äbtissin und Platz für 12 Damen, die alle einen selbständigen Haushalt führen.

It is the youngest of the five monasteries of Calenberg. In the winter of the year 1377 it was almost completely destroyed by a fire. Around 1400, the buildings have been rebuilt.
During the Reformation, the monastery was not dissolved, but continued as Evangelical Lutheran convent. During the thirty years war, the Abbey suffered great damage. In the year 1728, another fire destroyed much of the medieval building. So the monastery was rebuilt again in the years 1730 to 1740, where old parts have been included. Little has changed since then. In 1994, sisters of the Protestant order Communität Christ Brotherhood of Selbitz in Upper Franconia brought new monastic life within the old walls.